Recipe: Spicy Eggplant (Brinjal) Curry
January 25, 2007 § 1 Comment
- Small thin eggplants: 5 or 6, cut into 1.5cm rings
- Oil: for deep frying, 2 tablespoons for sauteing
- Tomatoes: 3, chopped
- Red chillies: 4
- Ginger: small piece, finely chopped
- Bay leaves: 2
- Curry leaves: 2
- Brown sugar: 2 tablespoons
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: for garnishing
- Blend the tomatoes and the whole chillies into a smooth puree and set aside.
- Pour oil for deep frying into a pan over high heat.
- When the oil is hot, deep fry the eggplant pieces until they are tender enough to pierce with a knife point.
- Set the eggplant pieces aside to drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in another pan over moderate heat.
- Saute the ginger, bay leaves, and curry leaves for one or two minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 5 or 10 minutes, or until thick and saucy.
- Add the sugar and salt and stir to dissolve completely.
- Fold in the eggplant pieces in the cooked puree.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.