Executable UML is designed to produce a comprehensive and understandable model of a solution independent of the organization of the software implementation. It is a highly abstract thinking tool that aids in the formalization of knowledge, and is also a way of describing the concepts that make up abstract solutions to software development problems.
The goal of software and systems design is utilize maximal reuse of artifacts and minimize rework and redundancy. xUML takes this layer of abstraction to the next higher layer, and with the tooling necessary to compile and debug a model now becoming available, it has emerged a highly viable development paradigm.
Some Resources to Get Started
- Executable UML — A Foundation for Model-Driven Architecture : Stephen J Mellor, Marc J Balcer
- MDA Distilled : Stephen J Mellor et al
- Model Driven Architecture with Executable UML : Chris Raistrick et al
- The Object Constraint Language — Getting Your Models Ready for MDA : Jos Warmer, Annekke Kleppe
- Kennedy Carter iUMLite at http://www.kc.com
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License